Sunday 15 November 2009

Mud season under way!

This weekend I was up in Newcastle for the Gateshead Intl XC which was also the first UK Cross Challenge race of the season. Travel was a bit a drag with two flights involved, my outward journey was also on a rather windy Friday 13th, I think I just made it out of Guernsey in time though as waiting in Southampton I noticed that a flight to Guernsey was cancelled due to strong winds. There was a plus side to the windy conditions though as the journey up to Newcastle only 50mins as opposed to 1hr 10. In was nice being in Newcastle again, another chance to catch up with my mums side of the family.


The race itself went ok all things considered, i finished 5th overall, which was 4th Brit due to 2nd place being an Eritrean athlete. I must admit I would have like a higher finish but on a tricky and very muddy course it was solid enough run to leave me feeling confident going into the european trials in two weeks time in Liverpool.





Note checkout the photo, white not the best colour to wear on a muddy course!

After a heavy block of training before this race week I was aware that I might have tired legs going into the race plus I've also had a bit of head cold this week too, which seems worse now after the race. Note sure it effected me much during the race but either way I will be more recovered and in a better state of health in two weeks time I'm sure. Also just heard that there will be a few Guernsey athletes going over too so should have some extra support this time too which is always good.

No comments: